Monday, June 11, 2007

Phoebe's Nursery



I planned to add more pictures of her nursery but I'm having computer problems.
When my parents, who live in California, visited us over the Easter Holidays they were very disappointed that Phoebe's nursery wasn't complete. Here it is!
The inspiration for the room colors came from the first dress that I bought for Phoebe (it's hanging on the other side of room, but I can't upload the pic). I searched for crib bedding but couldn't find a good match, so I decided to make everything using a Simplicity Pattern (#4627). Then I had a hard time finding the right fabric so I searched the bedding department in Target and found Shabby Chic bed sheets and curtains for the project. The toughest part was replacing the cover on the roman shade (it is one that I made over 10 years ago!) because it has five layers of insulation for the cold Upstate NY winters.
Above the crib is an antique Victorian print of a watchful collie and a sleeping little girl--the colors were perfect in room and I just love the image. The dog reminds me of our amazing collie Stella who passed away a few years ago--we still miss her. At the sides of the print are old German stuffed animals (Steiffs) that were either given to me as a child or that I collected over the years. I saved them because I always knew that one day I would give them to my daughter. Below the picture is a beautiful handmade bib (it hard to see because it is white) from Vietnam that my friend Huong gave to me. It is too nice to use so I decided to hang it where Phoebe can see it. Eventually she'll pull it down, but for now I'll leave it there.
I'm saving one wall for something special from Vietnam, and from what I hear shopping in Hanoi is great so I look forward to searching for the last element to complete little Phoebe's nursery. I hope that she likes it!

5 comments:

charisa said...

You are gifted! The nursery is beautiful. I love the picture of the collie and the old stieff stuffed animals. I cannot wait to see her in your arms and will follow your blog.
Charisa

Meg and Ava said...

You will be in our thoughts each day! Safe travels! We look forward to seeing you when you return. Don't hesitate to e-mail with questions while you are there.

The nursery is beautiful!

Meg & Kurt

Roseann said...

so excited for you two. Donna, you are so talented and Phoebe is one lucky little girl!! Nursey is every little girl's dream. I will be praying that you and Ken have a safe and hassle-free trip. Looking forward to meeting this precious baby. love, Roseann

S. said...

Beautiful nursery! We have my husband's old Steiff stuffed animals in my son's room. You are very talented!

Stephani said...

Donna,
CONGRATULATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Phoebe is absolutely beautiful. You and Ken look very happy. Phoebe is a lucky little Girl to have you both as parents, and your Mom and Dad as Oma and Opa. Your Dad came by at 4 pm today to check out your blog. I think he liked it very much.
Safe travel for all of you, please keep up the wonderful blog.
Love,
Stephani